SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday 5 January 2018

Waiting



If I could pick a word worse than no, it would be wait. Of all the things in the world to say, I wish you would just give me a definitive answer so I could move on...instead, You said wait.


To wait is to delay gratification of some sort
To wait is to hang in limbo
To wait is to relinquish control.

You probably know exactly what I'm talking about right now. You can just tell when you're in a season of waiting. Waiting for an answer, waiting for your time to come, waiting for something to happen... It's just a part of the ebb and flow of life.

I'd say I've been in a waiting period for about 6 months. Like it says on the About page, this blog was created at the beginning of a transitory time in my life. I had just gotten married, graduated with a degree in Social Work and moved out on my own for the first time. What a great year. Accomplishments and life changes are so, so wonderful and incredibly exciting.

...But having the best time of your life doesn't make it perfect.

Life change means adjustment. And waiting.

Source

Waiting on God requires faith.
Faith that He is aware of what you're going through, what you need, and that He actually has a plan for your life.

Sometimes waiting can feel like He's forgotten about you, or like there's no way things could work out.

He's got you.

Sometimes waiting can feel suffocating...pressure rising from physical, emotional, financial, spiritual and mental needs.

He's with you. 

Like all the people in the world are passing you by, but to you the world stands still.

He knows you.

Trusting in God during a season of waiting is one of the hardest things you'll ever do. This is probably not the first time you've experienced something like this, and it definitely won't be the last.

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
he's the one who will keep you on track.

Don't assume that you know it all.
Run to God! Run from evil!
Your body will glow with health,
your very bones will vibrate with life!

Honour God with everything you own;
give him the first and the best.
Your barns will burst,
your wine vats will brim over

Proverbs 3


All things work together for good to those that love the Lord. Your waiting is not in vain. Your feelings of doubt and inadequacy are worth it.

Why?

Source

God is intentional. It's so hard for us as finite, simple minded human beings to comprehend an infinite, all-knowing God. He knows the beginning from the end.

He IS El-Shaddai, the Lord God Almighty, the God who is sufficient for the needs of His people.
He IS Jehovah-Shammah, the Lord is there
He IS Jehovah-Jireh, the Lord who provides.

Whatever you're waiting for, whatever you need from God...He is. 

Waiting on God requires more than just time.
It requires intention.

What does this mean?
Source

If the Father is doing all the hard work providing for the family, the child must pitch in and do their chores.

So how does one go about doing that?

1. Seek His Direction

This goes without saying. If you're waiting, you have probably already done this, but if you haven't, it is essential to know the will of God for your life or at least the matter that you're struggling with. 

I've been seeking direction for my career and my ministry for the past few months. I felt sure of where I was headed all four years of my degree, loving what I did, only to feel a little frazzled post-grad, wondering if my career choice was truly the will of God or me just trying to find answers for the pain of my past. 

So I sought Him out.

...And I didn't hear anything.

For months I prayed and heard nothing about the path that I should take. It was incredibly discouraging and frustrating because I didn't know what kind of jobs to apply for.

Then we fasted.

And only then did He start to speak.

Though He gave clarity and direction in some ways, in some matters He said wait.


I know this season of waiting is to prepare me for the next phase of my life. And I choose to be grateful.

2. Bring Your Mind into Captivity 

This is something our generation in particular struggles with. We don't know how to control our thoughts. The Bible says we have power over our tongues and minds. We HAVE the power to bring our thoughts 'into captivity', so it says (2 Corinthians 10:5). 

If you are going to survive your season of waiting, you HAVE to take control of the negative thoughts and mindsets that plague your mind.

How do you do that, you ask?

By remembering the truth

Practical ways to do this:

  • Write down what God has told you about your purpose/question/situation. Put it somewhere you can see it and read it daily or whenever you start to doubt His plan for your life.
  • Read a devotion or book about waiting on God. I promise you it will bring you comfort when you're feeling overwhelmed.
  • Talk to a (like-minded) friend or mentor who you can share your doubts and anxieties with that will listen to and encourage you! 

3. Reflect on the Things He's Done

Source

Another aspect of remembering the truth is looking back on where you've come from, what God has brought you through.

He's never failed you yet.

The bridge to the song in the picture is 

I've seen you move, you move the mountains; and I believe I'll see you do it again. You made a way when there was no way, and I believe I'll see you do it again
Great is the faithfulness of the Lord. Reflect on or write down the things that He has done for you and see that the odds are in your favour.

He will do it again. It may not be the way you saw it, it may not be when you want it, but I promise you, He will.

4. Wait Gracefully


We're depending on God;
he's everything we need.
What's more, our hearts brim with joy
since we've taken for our own his holy name.
Love us, God, with all you've got--
that's what we're depending on.

Psalms 33

Of all the names of the Lord, El Shaddai has deeply resonated with me in this period of waiting. Lord God Almighty: The God who is sufficient for the needs of His people

God is enough. 

He's just enough! Stop overthinking it, stop analyzing every detail of everything little thing that ever happens to you. God is SUFFICIENT for the needs of His people. What more do you need? 

Get to a place where He is just simply enough, and there you will find peace.






1 comment :

  1. Valuable data shared. I am glad to End of lease cleaning Redfern | Bond cleaning Zetland | End of lease cleaning Sydney peruse this article. Much obliged for giving us and pleasant information. Awesome stroll through. I value this post.

    ReplyDelete